Pilks Derby Day Win Secures Third Place

Pilkington FC 4-2 FC St Helens
Cheshire League Division One, Saturday 13th May 2017

Pilks welcomed near neighbours FC St Helens for their last Cheshire League Division One game of the season.

It was a tense affair in the opening 10 minutes although FC survived a clear penalty shout on 7 minutes when Matty Taylor was upended in the box.

On 11 minutes FC broke the deadlock when some sloppy tackling allowed FC’s Ste Ashton to slide the ball through to Paul Sweeney who finished neatly.

Pilkington FC 0-1 FC St Helens

7 minutes later and FC had doubled their lead when Jordan Smith lobbed Rob Cork. Pilks were simply not in the game and they had allowed FC to pass the ball around at will.

Pilkington FC 0-2 FC St Helens

As the game went on Pilks started to gain control of the ball and mounted some pressure on the FC goal. With 8 minutes to half-time they got the breakthrough when Luke McCausland headed home Taylor’s corner – an FC defender protested too much and was sent off.

Half-time: Pilkington FC 1-2 FC St Helens

With a more determined Pilks coming out in the second half and pressing higher they started to completely control the game. However, they still couldn’t find the openings with the Chris Brinksman standing firm in the FC goal.

10 minutes in and Pilks introduced Adam Dixon and Chris Clarke and these changes seem to give Pilks a different dimension.

On 59 minutes Matty Taylor equalised with another stunning free-kick and a minute later Adam Dixon followed up his pass to neatly head home Chris Clarke’s cross.

Pilkington FC 3-2 FC St Helens

With 30 minutes to go FC lost another player when Callum Laird was sent off for his second bookable offence.

Pilks now had total control and extended their lead with 25 minutes left when Chris Clarke’s cross was finished by Graham Boylan.

Pilkington FC 4-2 FC St Helens

With 15 minutes left, disaster struck for Pilks when their top goalscorer Matty Taylor went down after attempting to jump over an FC defender. With him unable to move and a suspected broken ankle an ambulance was called.

It’s a sad end to what has been a remarkable season for Matty that has seen him score an incredible 51 goals from 34 games.

The game restarted after a 35-minute delay and was played out more like a training session than a derby game. The 3 pts secured Pilks third place in the league – a great effort after the early season squad disruptions.

They now move onto their final game of the season when they play Ford Motors at Styal FC next Saturday in the final of the Cheshire League Presidents Cup.

Full-time: Pilkington FC 4-2 FC St Helens

Team Line up: Rob Cork, Connah Killagllon, Miguel Gillam, Luke McCausland, Jake Worrall, Ian Frazer, Ian McBride, Luke Sephton, Graham Boylan, Matty Taylor, Brad Smailes. Subs: Chris Clarke, Adam Dixon, Alex Higham


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here