A monument to preserve the memory and heritage of the former Haydock Cottage Hospital was officially unveiled on Saturday (18 November) at a special ceremony in Clipsey Lane, Haydock.
Created from the original ornate arch stone located over the entrance to the building, the monument was opened by the Mayor and Mayoress of St Helens, Councillor Joe Pearson and his wife Sylvia; local ward councillors – and MP for St Helens North, Conor McGinn.
There were also performances on the day from the Haydock Brass Band – which played at the laying of the foundation stone at the Cottage Hospital in 1886 – and local folk singer, Martin Williams.
In July this year, Haydock ward councillor Martin Bond spoke of his pride after the entrance arch, as well as the 130-year-old foundation stone and a time capsule containing two annual reports of the hospital and copies of local newspapers, were given back to the council from current landowner, Mr Issam Jabrow.
On sale of the land the items rightly became his, but local resident Mr Jabrow kindly agreed to hand over the items so that they can be permanently displayed in Haydock for residents – and family members of those miners who helped fund the hospital – to see.
Councillor Bond said: “Preserving our heritage to ensure that the sacrifices of those who built our town and society is vitally important.
“If we can’t always retain the physical reminders, then passing on the stories and memories to following generations becomes even more important.”