Advice For Those Made Redundant by Palmer And Harvey

The government has issued the following advice to those people who have been affected by Palmer and Harvey going into administration. We’ve also added in some local information regarding support available and will update again when we have any further information to share. In addition you will find some info about other Companies offering interviews to those made redundant.

Matthew Callaghan, Ian Green and Zelf Hussein of PwC have been appointed joint administrators of the companies.

Information for former employees:

If you’ve been made redundant

If you’ve been dismissed, you might be entitled to redundancy and other related payments from the Insolvency Service.

Who is eligible

You can to apply to the Insolvency Service for redundancy and other payments if:

  • you worked for these companies under an employment contract

  • you live in England, Scotland or Wales

You can’t apply to the Insolvency Service if you live in Northern Ireland. Find out about your rights in Northern Ireland if your employer is insolvent.

Workers and self-employed contractors who provided services to the company are not eligible to apply. Instead, these individuals should contact the administrator to register as creditors.


How to apply

The administrator will give details about how to apply and will also give you a case reference number (eg CN12345678).

Once you have this information you can apply online.

Paying your claim

Once you submit your online application, it takes an average of 14 days to process your application and pay claims.

However, sometimes they need to get additional information from you or from the administrator. This can take a bit of time.

They’ll contact you directly if they need anything from you.

They always try to pay eligible claims within 6 weeks of receiving the application.

Please don’t contact them to check the status of your application until after the 6 weeks have passed. This will help them deal with everyone’s application as quickly as possible.

Getting help with your application for redundancy payments

If you need help completing your application, you can contact the Redundancy Payments helpline on 0330 331 0020.

When calling, please have your case reference number (eg CN12345678) and National Insurance number to hand. If you do not have a case reference number, please contact the administrator.

They are experiencing higher than usual call volumes at the moment. If you are unable to get through to them you can email with “ Palmer & Harvey McLane Limited Employee” in the subject line, and they will call you back.

Please include your name, your case reference number and your telephone number in your email.

If you need to email them after submitting your claim, please only use the email address you gave on your application form. Otherwise, they won’t be able to respond to you for security reasons.

Other support available to you

Factsheet: finding a new job, managing your finances and benefits available to you (PDF, 487KB, 2 pages)

St Helens Chamber of Commerce, will be offering free, in-house re-training and CV writing guidance for any workers who have been made redundant and they can be contacted on 01744 698800.

The St Helens Citizens Advice Service have an advisor called Louise who specialises in employment advice so people can contact her if they need any advice-the appointment line number is 01744 737866 or they can attend one of our drop-ins Monday, Wednesday, Friday 10-12:30 pm. They also do a drop-in on Thursday afternoon between 1-3 pm.  They also have benefits advisors who can advise people what benefits they are entitled to and they have a ‘Better Off Finance’ project which helps the unemployed get back into work. It’s possible that people may be eligible for financial assistance from Grocery Aid and the Retail Trust. If they need assistance applying to either they can book an appointment by calling Michael Egan on 01744 751380 or they can attend his St. Helens Hospital Allen Day Unit outreach every Wednesday between 9:30 am and 4 pm-no appointment required for the outreach.

For updates from the Union of Shop, Distributive and Allied Workers (USDAW) please visit

Yodel are offering anyone who has lost their job at P&H a guaranteed interview at their Nationwide Depots and Hubs. Please contact them on 0203 738 0021 (No Agencies Please this line is to to support P&H Employees only).

The Logistics People are recruiting for Class 1 drivers, warehouse operatives, FLT drivers and reach drivers across the North West. Multiple shift patterns and rates available. Call 01536 726870 if you’re interested and ask to speak to the recruitment team.

Clarke Transport have depots and partners around the country who have live vacancies. This is not just for drivers it’s for the traffic office and anyone else.

Yorkshire Repak are offering guaranteed interviews in St Helens for any workers who have been made redundant at P&H. Drop them a message via their Facebook page.

Xmas seasonal jobs available. more info here

Information for creditors

You’ll need to register as a creditor in the administration if:

  • you haven’t been paid for goods or services you’ve supplied to the Palmer & Harvey McLane Limited group of companies

  • you’ve have paid the companies for goods or services that you haven’t received

To register, email the administrators.

In your email, please include your company details and what you’re owed.

Further information

If you have any further questions, you can also contact the Insolvency Enquiry Line:

Insolvency enquiry line

Contact form

Telephone 0300 678 0015

For information about the insolvency process contact the Insolvency Enquiry Line during office hours. Open 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday except Wednesday 10am to 5pm. They can give you general information about: insolvency, what official receivers do and where you can go to get the information or advice you need. They can’t give you: legal or financial advice, information on specific insolvency cases, information or advice on matters directly relating to other government departments.


  1. My partner had in house training for forklift operator, how does he go about getting a copy of his forklift certificate from p & h

    • I’m afraid I dont know the answer to that one. The only thing I can suggest is that he emails the administrators and asks them how he might get hold of the certificate.

  2. Hi. I used to work for P&H by agency. Now I’ve been told by my agent that He is now able to pay me. I worked for agency not P&H directly. Any advise how can I get my money back. Many thanks.

    • I’m afraid i can only direct you to the info in the article. the local citizens advice may be able to give you some advice of what to do etc

  3. The certificate will not be useful if it was in house , he will need to be assessed in house in other organisations by a certified trainer .


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here