When To Call 999 And When To Call 101

Call 999 if ANY of the following are the case:

A crime is in progress or you think it is.

There is a threat to life

A serious road traffic collision has occurred.

Violence is being used or threatened.

in a medical emergency – when someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.

Medical emergencies can include:

  • loss of consciousness
  • an acute confused state
  • fits that are not stopping
  • persistent, severe chest pain
  • breathing difficulties
  • severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
  • severe allergic reactions
  • severe burns or scalds

Call 999 immediately if you or someone else is having a heart attack or stroke. Every second counts with these conditions. Also call 999 if you think someone has had a major trauma. Major trauma is often the result of a serious road traffic accident, a stabbing, a shooting, a fall from height, or a serious head injury.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired, the emergencySMS service lets you send an SMS text message to the UK 999 service where it will be passed to the police, ambulance, fire rescue, or coastguard. Register your mobile phone now; don’t wait until you need the emergencySMS service.

Call 101 if any of the following are the case:

You want to report a crime/issue that does not require an immediate emergency response.

Nobody is in danger.

You want to speak with a local police officer.

You want to provide information about a crime.

Non-life-threatening emergencies

If it is not a life-threatening emergency and you or the person you are with does not need immediate medical attention, please consider other options before dialling 999:

Choose the best service for your needs, as this will ensure the ambulance service is able to respond to the people who need help the most.

If you are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired you can textphone 18001 101




Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here