St Helens Hockey Club – Match Report

St Helens 5 – 4 Golborne

John Graham writes about the latest match that took place on Saturday 27th January….

After a 0-0 draw earlier in the season it seemed both sides decided on ignoring defending and shared 9 goals in our highest scoring game of the season so far.

We started quickly with Paul Horton & Danny Taylor putting us 2 up before the game had really got going and we should really have pressed on from there. However Golborne weren’t about to sit back and allow us to score at will and turned the game right around in what felt like a 5 minute spell. Their first from a short corner was then followed by two further quickfire goals and in no time Golborne had a lead which perhaps wasn’t in line with how the game had gone. We’d created plenty of opportunities and half chances after the first two but Golborne were clinical and made their attacks count.

Just prior to the half time whistle we leveled things up with Mick Maloney getting in on the scoring and we’d go into half time with the scores level at 3-3. Whilst some of our attacking play during the first half was excellent we’d definitely let ourselves down in conceding 3, we knew though that if we continued to attack the same and tightened things up we’d be a good bet to take the 3 points we needed.

So the second half started and we continued to pressure Golborne who’s main form of attack was to counter our attacks at pace when they broke down. A mixture of fine goal keeping and missed chances saw the scores remain level until Mick Maloney decided to have his own personal competition to score the best goal. His second cane from a deft Touch past the keeper from a great ball in from Danny Taylor and that gave us the lead back for the first time since early in the first half. Mick then completed his hat-trick, his first for the club with a finish right into the roof of the net and we had a 2 goal cushion which was deserved given our second half play.

Golborne did pull a 4th back from a well worked short corner however there was some uncertainty over the first shot on goal actually being from a strike above the backboard which should have seen it chalked off. Nevertheless the goal stood and Golborne had made sure that the last few minutes would be tense. Golborne earned another short corner with seconds to go and given their success on shorts during the game it represented a great chance for them to level up. We did however manage to clear our lines and the final whistle went with the score 5-4 to St Helens.

The manner of the victory probably wasn’t ideal but with the way the table looks at the moment only a win mattered. We remain in 2nd place however clubs around us have games in hand so things could change around quickly. We go into a fortnights break now with 90% of the team traveling to Germany next Saturday so we’ll keep a close eye on results and then welcome an unbeaten Horwich team in 2 weeks time in What’s now a crucial game.

Find out more about them Website Facebook Twitter



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here