Home Sport Saints recover to beat Trinity

Saints recover to beat Trinity

Saints edged an astonishing game 34-30 after they scored three tries in seven second half minutes.

Regan Grace, James Roby and Zeb Taia all crossed in a staggering salvo as they flipped the game on its head to stay six clear at the top of the table.

Beforehand, Wakefield had overturned a 20-6 half time deficit with four tries of their own to threaten a league double.

And they even scored in the last minute too – but Saints held firm.

Justin Holbrook’s side controlled the majority of the first half but were made to fight hard for their lead.

Both teams went close in the opening 10 minutes; Regan Grace looking most lively for the home side after scooting 50 metres on two separate carries.

But three minutes later he made one of them pay after he got on to a nice passing move.

And what a flowing passage of play it was – Jonny Lomax finding Ben Barba who then threw a peach of a cut out ball for Mark Percival to put in his winger.

Danny Richardson hammered home the extras but with a blink of an eye Wakefield had replied.

Saints were caught overplaying on their own line; going for an offload that probably wasn’t on and Tom Johnstone intercepted.

But in the 25th minute they wrestled the lead back with a great move on the last.

Initially the ball was on the right hand side – but it was then shifted left to Barba who gave it to Percival to hand Lomax a walk over.

Richardson then scored a try right from the Saints of yesteryear.

They kept it alive on the last, sending the ball through several pairs of hands before it landed with Barba.

Faced with a wall of defenders, the full back kicked the ball back across the field, Tommy Makinson tapped it back and Richardson sidestepped his way to the line.

Barba made another break as the half came to a close but the home side had to settle with a Richardson penalty as the hooter sounded.

20-6, and Saints were in control.

Or so they thought.

Ryan Hampshire scored three minutes into the second half to bring his side back into it before Trinity turned up the heat.

Jacob Miller collected a high ball to draw his side to within four points and they took the lead when Mason Caton-Brown went over from dummy half.

It then got worse for the home side as when Saints were harshly penalised for obstruction Johnstone took full advantage for his second.

Saints powered back with a score right out of the drop drawer – and it was the start of something special.

In the 65th minute, Lomax collected a bouncing ball on his line and managed to evade being caught in goal.

Saints then shifted it left and Grace stepped back inside to score his second.

Class and composure from the youngster.

It got better too as on the next set, LMS found Morgan Knowles with an offload and the back fed James Roby for his 101st in the red vee.

Saints scored their third when Taia slipped a tackle and showed great strength to go over.

It should have been all over when Percival intercepted to go under the sticks with two minutes to go – but it was called back for a strip in the tackle.

And Wakefield duly went up the other end of the field and scored in the corner through Reece Lyne.

It was a controversial one – the centre appearing to be in touch – but Liam Finn passed up the conversion attempt.

Wakefield then had 60 seconds to find a winner but Saints came up with the ball and maintained their winning run.

Justin Holbrook was pleased with the response as Saints came from behind to beat Wakefield 34-30 on Friday night.

“I am really happy to win that game,” he said. “To give Wakefield that much ball at the start of the second half, a lot of sides could have said it wasn’t our night.

“But we hung on in there and came through the other side so I was happy.

“In the first half I thought we were in complete control – we were unlucky with a few other chances and could have been 30-0 up. They scored one try where they took a risk but full credit to them, they did something about it and came after us in the second half.

“Benny Barba copped a knock on the break he made before half time and in hindsight I should have taken him off but we wanted to see if he would be ok. We then put Jonny back there, got Theo Fages in and got control of the game.

“Full credit to the players, we did some uncharacteristic things to put ourselves under pressure and didn’t get a lot of ball but that is part of the game. It was fantastic to see us come home and win that.”

He continued: “We could have given the England players a week off when you consider the altitude and time difference but they wanted to play and were all fantastic.

“Roby was fantastic as was Jonny too.”

Next up for Saints is Widnes at the Totally Wicked Stadium on Friday July 6 (8pm). Tickets are now on sale from the Ticket Office, by calling 01744 455 052 or online here.

Match Summary:

Tries: Grace (2), Lomax, Richardson, Roby, Taia
Goals: Richardson (5 from 7)

Tries: Johnstone (2), Hampshire, Miller, Caton-Brown, Lyne
Goals: Finn (3 from 5)

Penalties Awarded:
Saints: 4
Trinity: 9

HT: 20-6
FT: 34-30

REF: James Child

ATT: 10,008


23. Ben Barba; 2. Tommy Makinson, 3. Ryan Morgan, 4. Mark Percival, 19. Regan Grace; 1. Jonny Lomax, 18. Danny Richardson; 14. Luke Douglas, 9. James Roby, 16. Luke Thompson, 17. Dom Peyroux, 11. Zeb Taia, 12. Jon Wilkin.
Subs: 6. Theo Fages, 13. Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook, 15. Morgan Knowles, 20. Matty Lees,

25. Ryan Hampshire; 24. Mason Caton-Brown, 3. Bill Tupou, 4. Reece Lyne, 2. Tom Johnstone; 6. Jacob Miller, 7. Liam Finn; 10. Anthony England, 13. Tyler Randell, 8. David Fifita, 19. James Batchelor, 11. Matty Ashurst, 16. Tinirau Arona.
Subs: 9. Kyle Wood, 15. Pauli Pauli, 20. Keegan Hirst, 23. Chris Annakin.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here