Older people who may be frail or who have existing health conditions and respiratory illnesses are particularly at risk from the cold, as are younger children.
That’s why each year St Helens Council, Age UK Mid Mersey and local partners undertake the annual Winter Warmer campaign, handing out free winter survival packs and information to residents on the best ways to stay safe, warm and well – while saving money and becoming more energy efficient.
4,500 survival packs will be handed out this year, containing some handy winter essentials and a 2020 calendar packed full of information.
The campaign launched at St Helens Town Hall today, where over 30 services were on hand to give the hundreds of residents that attended help and advice with their winter preparations.
Packs will be available to collect at informative library events throughout November. Collect yours on:
Monday 11 November, 10:00am – Chester Lane
Tuesday 12 November, 11:00am – Parr
Thursday 14 November, 10:30am – Rainford
Friday 15 November, 2:00pm – Billinge
Monday 18 November, 2:30pm – Newton-le-Willows
Tuesday 19 November, 2:30pm – Peter Street
Thursday 21 November, 2:00pm – Garswood
Friday 22 November, 10:30am – Eccleston
Monday 25 November, 10:30am – Haydock
Wednesday 27 November, 10:30am – Thatto Heath
Thursday 28 November, 2:15pm – Moss Bank
Friday 29 November, 10:30am – Rainhill
And here are some top tips to stay warm and well. For more information and support call the Cold Weather Advice Line on 08000 355 878.
- Heat your rooms to at least 18°C
- Get your flu vaccination if you’re eligible – it’s free
- Keep an eye on friends, relatives and neighbours who may be vulnerable to the cold
- Stay tuned to the weather forecast and plan ahead
- Check whether you meet the criteria and register for priority service with your energy and water suppliers
- Have regular hot meals and drinks throughout the day, and keep active to help you stay warm
- Wear a few layers of thinner clothing rather than one thick layer, and wear shoes with slip resistant, good grip soles when you go outside